Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Decade ...

Can it really be true? Even tho' I feel like I'm in my 4th or 5th decade of life, I will soon enter my 7th decade! (actually I have another year in my 6th decade ... just realized I was beginning with 0 instead of 1)

Two decades ago I entered seminary ... spending my 5th decade preparing for ministry as an ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament in PC(U.S.A.) This followed the end of my marriage. We had no children. And, as I left the business world and all my extended family of the previous 20 years, it was the beginning of a more isolated life-style than before

This past decade began with ordination (1/27/2001), and I have spent my 6th decade in that role. As think about entering my 7th decade (3/11/12), I am reflecting on all the blessings of the past two, giving thanks for the blessings of continuing to serve as Parish Associate, giving thanks for gifts of good health and energy that contribute to my delusion of being in my 40's or 50's; and trusting God's continued faithful guidance. (Also giving thanks for virtual and RL friends ... and praying for IRL friend(s) to share theatre, dinner, holidays etc. with in the decade ahead.)

Happy New Year ... and Blessings for the decade ahead!

(photo taken at celebration of SFTS/SC 20th Anniversary, Sept. '09)

7 comments:

Terri said...

You are a gift Serena, to me and to others. Blessings on the year ahead, may it be gracious.

Rev SS said...

thanks Terri ... and you to me ..

Rev SS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angela said...

New Year's blessings. I am inspired by your life in ministry as I'm still just considering taking that final step and been just a little discouraged by all that is pulling at me now.

And as I read the post before this I'd say extra hugs...for you to be the anchor in this world for whatever grief the 'c' family has. One bad decision should not equal the sum total of a person's life and sometimes that is what happens with suicide.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Complete is the word which comes to mind after reading your post. Such a rich time for you.

Happy New Year!

Jan said...

Well, I'm in my seventh decade, as I turned 60 last year. Blessings in the new year.

Rev SS said...

So true Angela ... and that point was well articulated by their long-time pastor in his meditation. (feel free to email if you want to talk about taking that final step)

Thanks Purple for your kind words ..

Jan, thanks for your comment .. I actually have one more year before I enter my 7th decade (and you count funny ... you have 11 years ... you are in your final year of your 6th decade -:)